I found this funny little toy animal(?) at a vintage store. I have no idea what he is. I cut off his lower half, which only had miniscule feet anyway, and unstuffed his torso. He makes a pretty darling little puppet, although he does need his lower section redone to extend down past my wrist. I also put the two funny pompoms on his forehead. Isn’t he cute? He sort of goes along with this funny squeaky voice my husband and I use around the house. Tentatively calling him a Puddle Sprite for now.
So, anyone else get the living daylights scared out of them by this video when they were a kid? This video was creepier to me than most horror movies. Still, it’s some great work with robots.
Here’s a brief behind-the-scenes look:
These are some little puppets made of recycled materials that I’m going to try out in my Etsy shop! They’re called “Harmless Junkies”!
I had intended to make some little bags for us to take to Dragon Con, and while I’m walking around with my puppets, if someone wants a photo taken with me, I was planning to give them a freebie Puppatoons button. I wanted something neat to carry said buttons in, so this idea of fuzzy monster bags has been on the list for a couple of months.
I wanted to have good,solid bags,with linings, underneath the fur, so my husband had the brilliant idea to recycle gently-used manufactured bags. On a recent trip to Goodwill, we found two small purse-like bags that were practically new. I took them home, washed them in the washing machine, and they sat for a while. At last, today, I pulled them out of the project pile and started having fun.
This was the result:
This was the first. It was made on top of a little girl’s tiny messenger bag from The Limited Too store.
The second one is probably more appropriate for Steve to carry– a bit less purse-like. It seemed to be some sort of camera bag. I’m tempted to give it legs. 🙂
I decided to go ahead and finish Vapor, and I am very pleased with the result. My sewing was kind of erratic,but since he was completely experimental, I don’t feel too bad about it.He’s mine, so no big deal. But it looks like I’ve already got a ghost puppet commission in the works, and that one will of course be much tidier and neater. This is the first time I’ve made a puppet that replies on drapery to make it’s “body”, and it worked out well. He has two layers of blue sheer fabric that I got out of the formalwear section at JoAnn Fabrics, and it matches the color of the fleece used for his face and hands PERFECTLY. Between the layers of sheer is a layer of cheesecloth, which may or may not be necessary–I put it in to give a tad of body and texture, but I’m not sure it was needed.
My favorite thing, though, is his gnarled little hands–in sewing his impossibly skinny fingers with just a whipstitch, I accidentally made them twist and turn, which is one of those happy accidents again.:) Photos don’t really do this fellow justice; I need to make video of him so you can see how nicely the drapery flows.
Just playing around with the black oven mitt puppet. I seem to keep leaning toward these weird little New Yorkish/Boston accents with some of these puppets..
A new face awaiting features…..
I’m probably the only person who goes “OH, my GOD, this is so cool!” upon seeing a slightly different oven mitt at Target.